So, I had this massive craving for donuts last night right after my workout. As I was preparing a protein smoothie, I thought, wouldn’t it be great to get my protein in a donut? The answer was, yes, it would be great – it would be really great. I used my grain-free vanilla cupcake recipe as a guide, and it turned out yummy! I was pleased that this donut was delicious and all around healthy.
Also, I don’t have a donut pan. I balled up some aluminum foil and put it in the center of a muffin pan. It worked out nicely. Just don’t forget to grease the muffin pan really well. I lightly greased it and found that it was hard getting the donuts out. But, it wasn’t bad for a DIY muffin pan.
Recipe (makes 12 mini donuts)
1/4 cup protein powder (I used the vanilla protein powder by vega)
1/4 cup coconut flour
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup of oil (I used grape seed oil)
2 tablespoon sugar (I used coconut palm sugar to keep it refined sugar free)
1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
(I added spirulina to the ones that are greenish and cacao powder to make the chocolate one)
3 tablespoon cacao powder (or coco powder)
1/4 cup almond milk
3 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Mix all the donut ingredients together with a mixer until smooth.
- Grease the bottom of the muffin pans. Roll up tin foil into small balls and place in center of the pan.
- Hold the tin foil ball down as you pour the batter into the pan with a spoon.
- Bake for 15 to 17 minutes.
- Let cool before adding icing.
- For the icing, mix all the ingredients together and dip the donuts top down.
- Decorate how you please and enjoy!