A part of me wants to eat healthy and another part of me wants to put sprinkles all over everything. Seriously, cupcakes without sprinkles is just not right. Sprinkles give a dessert some oomph when it needs it. But, the problem is…it’s all sugar which doesn’t really work with what I’m going for. I feel like I’ve just found my abs and would like to keep them for a little while longer (haha) ;).
So, upon experimenting with some ingredients I thought why not dye shredded coconut? So, I used some natural food dyes to give the coconut some colour.
Here’s what you need:
- Shredded coconut
- Beet juice (for pink sprinkles)
- Tumeric (for yellow sprinkles)
- Spirulina (for green sprinkles)
1. In a bowl, mix however much shredded coconut you need with a spoonful of beet juice. Gradually add more for a darker shade. Mix until fully coated.
2. Squeeze out excess juice by pressing the coconut against the bowl with the spoon.
3. Spread out onto parchment paper and let dry for 24 hours. For quicker drying time, you can place it into the oven at the lowest temperature for 30 minutes and checking up on it to make sure it doesn’t burn.
For green and yellow:
1. Mix the shredded coconut with just a pinch of the spirulina and the tumeric. Gradually add more for darker shade.
2. Spread out onto parchment paper and let dry for 24 hours. For quicker drying time, you can place it into the oven at the lowest temperature for 30 minutes and checking up on it to make sure it doesn’t burn. You may find that these will dry a lot quicker because you are only mixing it with powder.
Now that I’ve discovered this little hack, I can’t wait to experiment and come up with different colours! Until then, let me know what you guys think and what works or doesn’t work for you 🙂